To uniformly enforce and provide consistent interpretations of all Town ordinances and the standard codes; continuously conduct research in order to improve the standard of construction; disseminate information on the code in order to educate and safeguard the public from any imminent threat of code violations. To do so, we will build on the continuous dedication of our employees to work towards achieving and implementing innovative programs to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the organization. We are committed to anticipate and respond to changes in the construction industry and will continue to provide information on education programs to educate the code certified personnel and the construction community. We believe that through education and cooperation, we can and will build positive working relationships with the building community, consumers, and citizens alike.
We strive for excellence in everything that we do. We continuously work to improve our performance and services. We are committed to providing quality services to all citizens through innovation, continuous improvement, determination and excellence in customer service. Our staff is committed to provide the highest level of customer service to the public by treating each customer in a professional, fair and consistent manner while staying within the laws and regulations that our town is obligated to follow.
STAFF 100% CERTIFIED
One hundred percent of the Town's Planning, Building and Zoning staff have earned professional certifications from the International Code Council (ICC). Through rigorous testing, ICC Certifications ensure that staff have demonstrated competency in the requirements of the International Codes®, a complete set of comprehensive, coordinated codes used in most U.S. communities and many global markets for the design, build and compliance process to construct safe, sustainable, affordable and resilient structures.
Town of Surfside Beach - Tree City
Did you know the Town of Surfside Beach is a Tree City? Do you know what being a member of Tree City USA means?
The Tree City USA program provides direction, assistance and national recognition for our community. It’s the framework for a healthy, sustainable urban forestry program in then town. And the benefits are substantial.
- Per the Landscaping & Tree Ordinance Sec. 17-721. - Contractor/property owner affidavit required.
- Reduce costs for energy, stormwater management, and erosion control. Trees yield 3–5 times their cost in overall benefits to the town.
- Cut energy consumption by up to 25%. Studies indicate that as few as three additional trees planted around each building in the United States could save $2 billion annually in energy costs.
- Boost property values across your community. Properly placed trees can increase property values from 7–20%. Buildings in wooded areas rent more quickly, and tenants stay longer.
- Build stronger ties to your neighborhood and community. Trees and green spaces directly correlate to greater connections to neighbors.
- Honor your community and demonstrate your commitment to a healthier environment through Arbor Day celebrations and Tree City USA recognition.
- Benefit from a framework for action provided by the four core standards. Many communities use the Tree City USA standards as a way to begin caring for city trees. Others regularly enhance urban forest management through improved ordinances, innovative programs and increased emphasis on planting and care.
- Educate people living in your city about the value of trees and the importance of sustainable tree management. Annual participation as a Tree City USA community provides this opportunity and makes it easier to engage individuals and organizations throughout the town. Tree City USA status can also create a strong working relationship with your state forestry agency and other groups.
- Improve community pride. Participation in the Tree City USA program helps residents feel good about the place they live and work. Annual recognition shows visitors and prospective residents that trees, conservation, and the environment are important to your community.
- Gain publicity with recognition materials. Tree boards, parks departments, public works officials and volunteers are recognized for the valuable work they provide to the community. Many communities share their Tree City USA recognition across city departments as well as with elected officials, students and business leaders.
Comprehensive Plan 2013-2022
FEMA CRS Fact Sheet
Town of Surfside Beach "Open for Business" Brochure
International Property Maintenance Code
Monthly Department Report
Property Maintenance Hearings
South Carolina Law provides a mechanism for the town to protect its citizens and property values by allowing it to implement proceedings to declare a property unfit when the owners or other responsible parties refuse to make improvements when the property condition is such that it causes a threat to the occupants, neighbors or community. It is rare that this occurs in town, because our residents are quick to make repairs and keep their property in good, safe condition. The hearing on November 1st was the very first time the town has occasion to move forward with an action. If you questions about the process, please contact Building Official Mitch Combs (843) 913-6340 or email@example.com.
Flood Ordinance Violation Hearing
Pursuant to Town Ordinance Section 14-16(f), Administrative Procedures, provides a mechanism for the town to protect human life and health, minimize property damage, and encourage appropriate construction practices to minimize public and private losses due to flood conditions by requiring that uses vulnerable to floods, including facilities which serve such uses, be protected against flood damage. If you have questions about the process, please contact Planning, Building & Zoning at (843) 913-6341.