There is an upcoming vacancy on this commission due to a term expiring. If you are interested in serving on this commission, please submit a brief summary of background to Town Clerk Debra Herrmann at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, please see below or call 843.913.6333. Volunteers will be submitted to Town Council for consideration at the April 11, 2017 regular meeting.
Term: 4 years
Duties: The planning and zoning commission shall have all the powers, duties and responsibilities set forth in South Carolina Act number 487 of 1967. Click here to see the complete by-laws. The planning and zoning commission shall have the power to:
- Prepare and revise periodically a comprehensive plan and program for development of its jurisdiction as provided in Act 487 of 1967;
- Prepare and recommend for adoption by the town council as a means for implementing the plan and program for the following:
- Zoning ordinances or resolutions and maps and appropriate revisions for its jurisdiction,
- Regulations for the subdivision of land and appropriate revisions within its jurisdiction, and administer the regulations that may be adopted as provided in Act number 467 of 1967;
- Prepare and recommend an official map and appropriate revisions showing the exact location of existing or proposed public street, highway and utility rights-of-way and public building sites, together with regulations to control the erection of buildings or other structures or changes in land use within such rights-of-way, building sites or open spaces within its political jurisdiction or a specified portion thereof, as set forth in Act number 467 of 1967.
- Prepare and recommend a capital program for its jurisdiction based on the comprehensive plan and the capital improvements necessary to implement the plan. Such a capital program shall include an annual capital budget based on estimates of the cost of proposed projects and the means of financing them. The commission shall submit the capital program, including the capitol budget, to the governing authority or authorities as directed.
- Establish principles and policies for guiding action in the development of the area;
- Prepare and recommend to the town council for adoption ordinances promoting orderly development in accordance with the comprehensive plan;
- Determine whether specific proposed developments conform to the principles and requirements of the comprehensive plan for the growth and improvement of the area;
- Review and recommend to the town council any needed changes in the zoning ordinance and the map of the town;
- Prepare and recommend for adoption subdivision regulations and to administer such regulations;
- Keep the town council and the general public informed and advised as to these matters.
Qualifications: No member of the planning commission shall be the holder of an elected public office in the town. Town residency is required.
Meeting Schedule: Meetings are held the first Tuesday monthly, beginning at 6:00 p.m. All Planning & Zoning Commission meetings are held in Council Chambers at Town Hall, 115 US Highway 17 North, Surfside Beach, SC, unless otherwise posted. The public is invited to attend all meetings and time is allotted for public comments at every meeting. Agendas are published on our website as they become available.
||Term of Service
|Mary Ellen Abrams, Chairman
|| 05/27/2014 to 05/27/2018
|| 07/11/2016 to 07/11/2020
|| 05/24/2016 to 05/24/2020
|| 07/11/2016 to 07/11/2020
|| 04/09/2013 to 04/09/2017
|| 03/10/2015 to 03/10/2019
|Charles Seibold, Vice Chairman
|| 08/22/2016 to 08/22/2020
Click here for Planning Commission Archives