Town of Surfside Beach - Tree City
Did you know the Town of Surfside Beach is a Tree City? Do you know what being a member of Tree City USA means?
The Tree City USA program provides direction, assistance and national recognition for our community. It's the framework for a healthy, sustainable urban forestry program in the town. And the benefits are substantial.
- Per the Landscaping and Tree Ordinance Sec. 17-721. - Contractor/property owner affidavit required. The removal of trees requiring a zoning permit shall be performed by a licensed, bonded and insured tree removal company. In the event a property owner chooses to remove the tree(s) by himself, a hold harmless agreement shall be executed and filed with the town
- Reduce costs for energy, stormwater management, and erosion control. Trees yield 3 to 5 times their cost in overall benefits to the town.
- Cut energy consumption by up to 25%. Studies indicate that as few as three additional trees planted around each building in the United States could save $2 billion annually in energy costs.
- Boost property values across your community. Properly placed trees can increase property values from 7 to 20%. Buildings in wooded areas rent more quickly, and tenants stay longer.
- Build stronger ties to your neighborhood and community. Trees and green spaces directly correlate to greater connections to neighbors.
- Honor your community and demonstrate your commitment to a healthier environment through Arbor Day celebrations and Tree City USA recognition.
- Benefit from a framework for action provided by the four core standards. Many communities use the Tree City USA standards as a way to begin caring for city trees. Others regularly enhance urban forest management through improved ordinances, innovative programs and increased emphasis on planting and care.
- Educate people living in your city about the value of trees and the importance of sustainable tree management. Annual participation as a Tree City USA community provides this opportunity and makes it easier to engage individuals and organizations throughout the town. Tree City USA status can also create a strong working relationship with your state forestry agency and other groups.
- Improve community pride. Participation in the Tree City USA program helps residents feel good about the place they live and work. Annual recognition shows visitors and prospective residents that trees, conservation, and the environment are important to your community.
- Gain publicity with recognition materials. Tree boards, parks departments, public works officials and volunteers are recognized for the valuable work they provide to the community. Many communities share their Tree City USA recognition across city departments as well as with elected officials, students and business leaders.