The pier was first built in 1953 and has been rebuilt three times since storm damage. During the 1970s and 1980s, the Holliday Family owned and operated the pier. It was destroyed by Hurricane Hazel in 1954 and then again by Hurricane Hugo in 1989 and wasn’t rebuilt until March of 1993. The Town of Surfside has owned and operated the pier since 2008. Surfside Pier, Inc., which was comprised of a group of businessmen, first built a pier in Surfside Beach in the 1950s.
—John Monroe Johnson Holliday and his brother Joseph were stockholders and became owners of the pier in 1953.
—John Monroe Johnson Holliday became the pier’s sole owner in 1988 and eventually sold it to Pier Properties, Inc. (owned by the Scalise family) on May 25, 2000.
—Pier Properties, Inc. remodeled the pier and organized a reopening ceremony that was held on April 21, 2001.
The Town of Surfside Beach later purchased the pier in 2008.