Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Inquiries
SC law provides that it is a crime to knowingly obtain or use personal information from a public body for commercial solicitation.
How to request public records
- Written Inquiries for any department should be sent to the town clerk by US Mail: Town Clerk, 115 US Highway 17 North, Surfside Beach, SC 29575-6034, or dropped off in person at town hall, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. (No form is required, except for Police Department inquiries-see below) Notice: The requestor is responsible for ensuring the request is received by the town. Faxed inquires are not accepted.
- Surfside Beach Police Department requires this specific form, please complete SBPD FOIA FORM and submit to email@example.com
- Inquires should be specific about information being requested, i.e. subject matter, time frames, particular department or departments, etc.
- Questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 843.913.6333.
Pursuant to FOIA §30-4-30(d) and §30-4-50(A)(8) the following records are available for public inspection during regular business hours, and are available 24/7 on the town’s website at the respective links.
Response times to acknowledge your request pursuant to FOIA
- Ten (10) business days when the record is less than 24 months old
- Twenty (20) business days when the record is more than 24 months old
- The response will include the option for you to be told the approximate cost for filling the request, and whether a deposit is required (see Fees below)
Delivery times pursuant to FOIA
- Records less than 24 months old, delivery within 30 calendar days from the acknowledgment date or from receipt of 25% deposit, if required
- Records over 24 months old, delivery within 35 calendar days from the acknowledgment date or from receipt of deposit, if required
- A deposit of not more than 25-percent of the reasonably anticipated cost for reproduction of the records may be required. Actual balance due is payable upon delivery of the documents
- Copy rates per page: Black & White Copy – 20 cents; Color Copy - 81 cents
- Scanning documents to create electronic file when one does not exist – 5 cents each page
- Search, retrieving and redacting records shall be at the rate of $15 per hour regardless of the staff member performing research to fulfill the request
Freedom of Information Act Code (FOIA)
South Carolina Code §30-4-30 stipulates that the public has a right to inspect and/or to copy public documents. View the code at http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t30c004.php